SDK and Studio
You can either download the 3.1 version of Titanium Studio here, or update your existing version to 3.1.
The Tizen development environment is required for any Tizen development, even if the development itself will be performed using Titanium tools.
Download and Install Tizen SDK 2.0
Download the Install Manager from: https://developer.tizen.org/sdk (be sure to select the installer for that belongs to your operating system)
Run the Install Manager
Accept the terms and conditions, and click Next.
Select the components you want to install and click Next.
Select the SDK home folder and click Install.
Windows: Install Intel HAXM for Tizen
This step can be skipped on Linux, as hardware acceleration is usually enabled on Linux by default.
Without hardware acceleration, the Tizen emulator is very slow even on fastest Windows machines. It is recommended to configure hardware acceleration. It does not show as currently available for Windows 8, but the above installer appears to work fine.
Visit the page https://developer.tizen.org/downloads/sdk/installing-sdk/hardware-accelerated-execution-manager, download and install IntelHaxmTizen.exe.
Important: HAXM for Tizen conflicts with HAXM for Android. You might have to Uninstall the Android version first.
Reboot your computer.
Create a Tizen Emulator instance
Run the Tizen Emulator Manager from the installation directory above. On Windows, it might be: C:\tizen-sdk\tools\emulator\bin\emulator-manager.exe
or /Users/username/tizen-sdk/tools/emulator/bin/emulator-manager on OS X.
In the tree pane, click "x86-standard -> <<Create new">> and then click the button Create.
Ensure that following options are set:
Display Resolution: 480x800 (might be different)
RAM Size: 512 or 1Gb
HW Virtualization: Supported
HW GL Acceleration: Supported.
Note: Beware of the HW Virtualization setting. It should be enabled and show "Supported". If it is disabled, check if Windows: Install Intel HAXM for Tizen is installed properly. Intel Hardware Accelerated Execution Manager and installation instruction available here.
Click the Launch button to start it.
For the first start, Tizen shows a welcome screen. Tap Start. On the next screen, click "Next" and click "Finish" on the last screen.
Using the SDK
Note: you can't use a project created for Tizen SDK 2.0.0a out-of the box with Tizen 2.0.0. You need to remove any existing <tizen> notes from tiapp.xml
- Open Studio and install the downloaded Titanium SDK using Help > Install Titanium SDK...
- Open Window > Preferences > Titanium Studio > Titanium > Tizen and set the installed Tizen SDK home location.
- Run File > New Titanium Project, select a template and then the specific Titanium SDK in the next page.
- If you have not created the emulator instance above, do so now.
- You can now run your application.
Issue #1. On starting an instance of the Tizen emulator on some OS X machines, you may get an error 'Not enough shard memory'. This is a known native Tizen SDK issue.
The workaround for this issue is to run the following commands in the terminal to increase the shared memory manually.
- sudo sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmax=1610612736
- sudo sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmall=393216
- sudo sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmin=1
- sudo sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmni=32
- sudo sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmseg=8
- sudo sysctl -w kern.maxprocperuid=512
- sudo sysctl -w kern.maxproc=2048
Now, start the instance of the emulator again and it should run. You will need to redo these steps on each restart of the machine.
Issue #2. On OS X, you may try to run the app on device and the progress bar in Studio gets stuck at 59%. This happens because the sdb command hangs halfway while starting the daemon server. This is also a native Tizen SDK issue.
- Remove the device from the machine
- In the terminal cd in to tizen-sdk/tools
- Kill the sdb server by running './sdb kill-server'
- Now start the server again by running './sdb start-server'
- Connect the device to the machine by USB cable
- Run './sdb devices', it should show you the device id
- Now 'Run on device' from inside Studio and the app will be successfully install and launch on the device